Essex Local Dental Committee

Hon. Secretary : Tony Clough, Roxwell House, Roxwell, Essex, CM1 4NL

Tel :01245 248553,  e-mail : clogdent@btinternet.com

Assist. Secretary : Clinton Foreman,

Tel : 07718 900909,  e-mail : clintforeman@lismail.co.uk

Minutes of meeting held at 21.4.08. Chelmsford Golf Club, Chelmsford, Essex.

Apologies : Bob Davey, Spencer Nute, Stephen Pitt, Neil Gaubert, Nick Pandya, Chris Roome, James Mehta, Bhasker Mehta.

Minutes of previous meeting : Approved.

Matters arising : Nil.

Treasurer - Travelling expenses paid. £90K balance, but sec. expenses/honoraria to pay. Still need to identify who is not paying (WE and PDS poor), and AC suggested inviting private practitioners who traditionally see themselves outside LDC. CF to investigate Inland Revenue Corporation Tax enquiries.  

Chairman - Nil.

Secretarial - CF presented report on E. Region meeting (details on website) which prompted discussion on whether to invite PCT representatives in future. Brian Harvey said yes if relevant to agenda, and Mark Shackell suggested that we invite them to present proposed commissioning plans (no more that two at a time).

Commissioning Changes/New tendering Proposals : No practice in Epping for NHS adults; tenders invited by PCT for how much/UDA treatment could be provided and how many, with 1 year commitment and thereafter re-evaluation. Over 20 interested, with 6 offering @ £19 or less. Concern was expressed at the quality of care that can be provided at this low value (especially in new practices), and would the investment have been wasted if it were then removed? Morally, would it be fair to patients, and should the LDC suggest a floor value, with quality care receiving a financial bonus (QOF/balanced scorecard)? Who will assess and how? What would be the approach of those short-listed  to young/old/high needs/endo patients, etc? HCC are standard setters and should visit annually, with dental lead, financial adviser and infection control nurse.

AC agreed to set out proposals for tendering, and it was noted that the Corporates have good templates. BH felt that quality care should be emphasised.

End of Year Contract Monitoring : AC reported that 'Child Only' practices were underperforming, and that a practice in SE left the GDS when the PCT insisted on a full repayment for the shortfall in activity over the 4% allowance. Also in SE, all practices had been subjected to 'secret shopper' exercises over Christmas service provision. A letter had been sent to all practices by Angela Surry-Hayward reminding them of their responsibilities, incorrectly in a number of instances (eg. 'normal working hours'), and it was agreed that AC would write a reply (many SE dentists had already so done!), and BH would research further the legal implications.

A GDP in SW had his contract details released to the press by the PCT when he attempted a Denplan conversion. Although AC received an apology from the PCT, none was forthcoming to the GDP, who was then asked for details of the UDA payments to his performers. This was refused, although there are some superannuation issues.

Ortho/O.S. : Nil.

LDC Conference : AC, CF, Nick Barker, Mark Preston and Chris Roome to attend. Motions to be put to conference were invited for the next meeting.

LDC Constitution : All in hand, according to AC, as is the AGM.

LDC Website : The demo by BH/Piers Lambert was delayed to the next meeting. Mark Preston has set up bulletin board.

PAG : More dental assessors trained, and PAG adopted across E.England.

AOB : Honoraria were not increased last year as we had no money, and need to be reassessed at the end of April 2008. Currently stand at £11,000 Sec., £8,000 Assist. Sec., and £2,000 treasurer. Proposals to be brought to next meeting.

MS to attend National Pandemic Flu Plan meeting ('Winter Willow'), and CDO is to set up working group to assess dentistry and give guidance to profession (eg. if routine dentistry has to stop, what will happen to contract, etc.).

Next meeting : 2nd June 2008 at 7pm.